too many flickers of inspiration
circling in anticipation that they might be chosen
a crowded dance
in a flurry of confusion
rush to their sides in comfort
don’t worry i whisper
your time is coming
and each of them coils into itself
and springs forth
bringing with it a dazzling array of ideas
instead of destroying this chaos
i create it?
this might be the beginning of a novel(la), or something, not sure yet
Her smoke extended its fingers up into the sky, prodding the storm.
when the time comes
i shall mist my letter of resignation in delicate cologne
like a dear john letter
and i will laugh
as the clown’s sandcastles dry in the sun
and the wind whips my hair
as the door closes behind me for the last time
that final gust of air pushing me out with a whisper
"you were never meant to be here"
as my words become less about myself
so, too, does everything else
and there’s a slideshow of old memories
distorted and different
from the way they were first put away
suddenly it’s the smell of grass
and not blackening wood
or a seamless canvas of blue
instead of ripped couch cushions
sometimes it’s easier to forget
when someone is holding your hand
and enough time has passed now
where even the memories become unnecessary
so, too, do you
it was shy fingertips
and album-long trips
something strange was in the sky
the day you and i arrived
falling from the moon
from your melodies
tie them into my hair
give me a reason not to fly
with you tied there, too
it’s just words until they’re spoken
was always my thing
taming the wild honey
that drips from your lips
an ancient elixir
of unsung heroes
raise the pail
tap the tree
and see stars
and i, darling
shall amuse myself with vacant shadow puppets
and feign the sound of violins
inhaling silence and exhaling dreams
creating vast starry worlds
i, my love
in my decadence
long for only everything
to make sense
the way my hand does
how strange to think
those suburban new-mexican walls
colored like melting sorbet
may now be a different color
Okay, potential contributors, I’ve laid some ground rules for submissions to my next book:
- Submissions MUST be original material. Previously published works are okay, but unpublished is preferred.
- Submissions may be any style of writing (poetry, prose, short story, etc.) but cannot exceed 2 pages in a word document, single spaced in 10 pt font.
- Submissions may also be of any genre; fiction, nonfiction, autobiographical, etc. Have fun with it!
- Please, no more than 2 submissions per writer.
- The final deadline for any submissions will be:
DECEMBER 1, 2013
Please use this link for submissions.
I look forward to reviewing them :3
The Creative Process:
- Start project during down time.
- Start second project.
- Feeling ambitious? Start third project.
- Become overwhelmingly busy, yet unable to pinpoint exactly what you are busy with.
The back of my throat felt cold; dry
Deliciously irritated by my own breaths